Saturday 25 August 2012

PAUL OBIEFULE: Football has brought me joy


Former Eagles star, Paul Obiefule, can not hide the joy and glory that football has brought his way. The Finland-based midfielder is still upbeat to continue his career at the international scene as he is still dreaming big to ply his trade  in China after his initial bid to ply his trade  in the Asian side failed.  In this interview, he affirms that football career success depends largely on sterling performance and luck and therefore urges upcoming players to always  be committed to their dream by giving their best.

You have plied your trade in both Finland and Norway. How would you compare football in these two countries?
In terms of environment, they share the same attributes. The atmosphere in Finland is very conducive for me. It has always been the same environment. But in terms of football, Norway is bigger. But I am enjoying every bit of actions in Finland. Norwegian League is more attractive. That is why most Nigerian players like to start their career in Norway because of the good facilities as well as the TV right in most matches. But in Finland, the TV right is still lacking. However, they play good football. The cities are fantastic and I am well respected maybe because of my wealth of experience.

How did you find yourself in Finland, having played in Denmark and Norway?
In this life, it is not every time that things would go according to plans. I had an offer from China and we had a deal. So, I terminated my contract with Honefoss. But unfortunately, the club management was changed and that also changed everything. Along the line, KuPS came calling and we agreed a deal.

How easy was it for you to settle in Finland?
It was very easy for me to adapt because Norway and Finland share the same culture. In fact, they almost have everything in common.

Did you rue missing the China deal?
Not really. I would have loved to be there. China is a beautiful place and their football is fast improving. But that is in the past now. I don’t allow that to depress me because I am focused on KuPS. Perhaps, it is not yet time for me to play there. But I am still nursing the dream to play there some day.

How has it been playing in the Finnish league?
It has been a wonderful experience. I play regularly for them and I think they are realy appreciating my contributions.

What are your dreams with the club?
To do very well. But I won't stay long because I want to go for bigger challenges which have been my dream.

Where is your next destination?
It is still a secret that I am keeping to myself for now. Very soon, it will be revealed when I the deal is sealed.

Is China likely to be your next destination since teams are breaking  banks for players?
I can't say for now. In most cases, players’ movements are not all about money. Some are adventurous. For me, I love culture. So, my choice of destination depends predominantly on this condition.

What has football done for you?
It has given me everything in life. I may not be as rich or famous as Beckham, but I thank God for what he has helped me to achieve so far through football. To be frank, God has blessed me a lot through football. I am a proud footballer because it has brought me joy and happiness.

Obinna, your brother, became a hot cake in Malta, following his superlative goal-scoring records. Do you see him having the chance to play in one of the top clubs in Europe soon?
He is a good player and has proved his mettle so much. I believe with his record of achievements so far, he will soon play in the top league. I have  urged him to keep the flag flying and with time, he will definitely join a big league because he has the physique to meet up with the expectations. Everything in this game is about performance and luck and I pray God will be on his side to get him  bigger contracts in top leagues.

Did you watch him play for the national team?
He is doing well. I think he will get his chance. Keshi is doing well, especially by giving every good player the chance to prove themselves. I am sure Obinna will get his time in Eagles.

How would you feel if Obinna decided to play for another country?
I would not feel bad because he has right to choice. I would only wish him well.

No comments:

Post a Comment