Tuesday 29 May 2012

My legs will speak for me -ODIBE

Excellent work ethic, combined with stamina and a never give up attitude has resulted in Super Eagles defender Michael Odibe becoming a fan favorite in Kiev. With four goals and four assists last season Odibe had become a hot property for Arsenal Kiev afterdefense in their Europa cup ticket winning drive last season.
 
How has it been in Ukraine this past season? As you can see and be very much aware that it was fantastic season for me and the club. We did very well because of our focus and we try to justify our position on the table.

Personally, what do you think was the secret of the team qualification to Europa after the hectic season in the country? I’m not trying to blow my trumpet but I wish to tell you that my stability in the team was the greatest factor. Before I joined the club, I knew how the team was and where they are but since I started playing consistently, things moved better than expected and everybody in the club praise me for that. I am not trying to praise myself but I think I made a lot of impact at the defense line apart from my goals.

With this development, how would you describe your time at Arsenal Kiev? They gave me the opportunity to get more exposure and to add to my experience. But the most important was playing week in, week out. At Arsenal, I was able to play more than I ever did in the past. I’m grateful to God that I’m found useful in the club. Now, I am as strong as ever. I’m also happy that I did achieve my aim of qualifying for Europe.

It seems the coach have some confidence in you? My brother there is nothing however game me more joy than the trust the team’s technical crew and my team mates had in me including the club President and that gingered my game a lot because I always play with confidence.

Then you must be full of confidence after such an impressive game in Ukraine… It’s God not me. But I think I have grown more confidently in the game than before. The league and my game have really helped me a lot. I have no excuse than to prove myself because I was given a chance and it is my duty to justify it and that is why I was everywhere on the pitch.

How will you share your experience in the league compare to where you are coming from then? It was fantastic experience; I mean the best one you can always remember in your memory. I had it tough before moving to Ukraine due to first team shirt but when the opportunity came, I made use of it that I am a better player. I personally known my ability but I was just looking for a better chance than where I was coming from to show the world what I can do. And I got it because life was full of joy for me in the team and everybody including the president of the club wanted me and they showed me love. 

From third tiers in Italy, you went to Ukraine. How do you feel?
I never thought all these will come faster just like that, I expected myself to struggle at my first season in order to learn the game, the culture and the entire life in the country but I think I adapted quickly because of where I was coming from. Italy is a good place to be, I love the country and that was what gave me the easy life in Ukraine because I was able to forget the rough time in my club in Italy and give my best in Ukraine. I thank everybody that made it happen both in Nigeria and there.

There are lots of speculation around you with clubs like Marseille, Werder Bremen and Saint Etienne of France battling for your signature. What is the true picture? They are all true. Werder Bremen came to my club but I was not contacted for any official discussion though they discuss with my club but I am still not briefed about their discussions. I think are still some other offers right now but still not official with the likes of Marseille and others.

But did you see yourself leaving the club you labor so hard for a place in Europe next season? Everything is with God not me. I think the most ideal thing is to be praying for a better and joyous move that will give you all you want in terms of consistent playing and trophies. The ball is not in my court even though I have options but I want to be loyal to the club. Arsenal Kiev are making attempt to keep me but I am not ready to disclose anything concerning that yet because everything is not official yet.

Is your future now at Arsenal Kiev? Although I love the club but I cannot say with certainty that I will move or stay next season because the club may be tempted with bigger offers and that is what football is all about. However, that depends on number of factor. My concern now is to go on vacation, relax before deciding on the next step.

What do you still need to work on beautify your game next season. In football, you learn everyday just because you want to be one of the best in your position, I have seen some of my lapses and trying to work on them before the start of new season. I am still young and promising so I have much to learn in the game. But I want to be more compose at the front line of goals to score more goals next season as well as to cover well at the wing side of the defense.

Looking at your career. Is this the most exciting season you’ve ever involved? Obviously, it is! I did similar things when I was in AC Siena before they changed coach and things started falling apart but I enjoyed everything both on and off the pitch.

Many expected you to have made Stephen Keshi’ foreign pros for the 2013 Nations Cup qualifiers against Namibia. Were you shocked by the coach decision? Honestly speaking, I was surprised but it’s not something you should allow to stay in your mind for another second. Of course I felt bad at some point because I am looking towards taking my form to the national team since it is on merit but I still believe the coach will give me my chance. I felt I was qualified to be in the team. I hope I will get another call-up, and when the opportunity comes, I will give my best for my country.

But it seems Keshi does not look at players from Ukrainian league with the likes of Brown Ideye, Haruna lukman and Yusuf Ayila were not also invited… I disagree with you. How can you say that? It’s just a coincidence that we were not invited at this period not because of the league. It happens at times but I don’t think the coach have any disgust on the league. 

Nigeria have begun the 2013 Nations Cup and 2014 World cup qualifiers. Do you still believe you have something to offer Super Eagles? I’m looking forward to playing again for the Super Eagles. I hope the technical crew led by big boss will look my way this time around because I will always give my best for my country.

No comments:

Post a Comment